Instagram

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Colombia pt 2 // Medellin








Going into my second week in Colombia staying in the city of Medellin, I didn't really know what to expect. I mean, my first few days in Cali had been so amazing, but everyone kept telling me, 'oh wait til you see Medellin...' Well, they were absolutely right. Medellin is a whole different world. This city is massive. It's busy, it's colorful, it's lively, it's beautiful. I honestly felt like I was walking the streets of New York or Atlanta, but just with a little different flavor- there was a breathtaking mountain view in every direction. I cannot put my last few days in Medellin into words… the city just speaks for itself. 













































































































































So we drove from Cali to Medellin, which takes around 8 hours because the only way to get there is to go up and down and through and around the country's beautiful mountains. On our way to the city, we stopped at a coffee plantation in Quindio called Recuca. What a cool experience to dress up in the original, traditional plantation outfits, actually pick some of the coffee fruit, and taste freshly brewed, rich, high-quality coffee. Fyi- they don't use azucar…

Our first full day in Medellin consisted of checking off a bunch of "have to's." First of all, riding the cable cars to the top of the mountain was one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. The views of the city from above are indescribable, and I know that those pictures do not do the real thing justice. Same goes for Parque Arvi- the park at the top of the mountain had so much character. It was a nice breath of fresh air (literally) and so peaceful. I loved the tables set up by gypsy vendors with their original, handmade pieces. This place is truly unique and inviting. 

Our trip to Santa Fe was hot, but beautiful nonetheless. The cobblestone streets, bright-colored walls and doors, detailed architecture, and fresh greenery really defined this small town. The personality of Santa Fe really drew me in… as did the limonada de coco… I could walk around this place for hours always having something to look at and never becoming bored. However, I think I would need to do that on a day without a blistering hot sun and serious dry heat.

Apart from the life on the mountain, Medellin also has plenty of entertainment to offer in the city. The malls are wonderful (and dangerous to my bank account). The night life is fun, exciting, and inviting. I loved walking the streets of Parque lleras that were so full of life. Sitting on the curb in the park, hanging out with friends, meeting new people from around the world, all with the muffled sounds of live music and dancing in the background… it's times like these where I have to make myself stop and take it all in. I stop to appreciate how blessed and fortunate I am to actually be experiencing this insane world of ours, not just reading about it in a book or seeing it through a tv screen. Seeing the world is something that I have always wanted to do… how cool that I'm actually doing it? I'm thankful to my friends, family, Jesus, and all those that make it possible, that's for sure. And until my next adventure, I will be going to bed dreaming of that unforgettable image of Medellin kissing me goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear it!