Instagram

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Trends In Festival Style

Although it all started with the OG Woodstock in 1969, music festivals have been making a comeback as a popular trend over the past few years. And what comes with event trends? Style trends. 


"Festival Style" is such a popular trend with numerous Pinterest boards and blog posts centered around the subject. Festival-goers look to celebrities and other influencers for the latest festival trends and try to mimic those looks on their own. However, what I have realized is that the festival trends definitely depend on the type of festival. 



Three years ago, I went to Coachella Music Festival in Palm Springs, California. While I was primarily there for the bands and the musical experience, I was also prioritizing my outfits. Because this festival is known as a more classy, chic event, I looked to fashion blogs and Vassnessa Hudgen's Instagram feed for inspiration. (Think flower crowns... lol.)


While Coachella is known for luxurious pool parties and best-dressed A-listers, other festivals such as Bonnaroo have a different outlook on the festival style. This festival that takes place on a farm is known for being hot and somewhat dirty. And with that mindset, festival-goers look for comfortable, yet crazy statement outfits while veering away from gladiator sandals and designer maxi dresses. 


One of the newer festivals that has grown in popularity over the past couple years is right here in our backyard: Music Midtown. This festival is interesting because it's hot, very hot. It might rain. It's not as luxurious as Palm Springs, but it's not as farm-y as Tennessee... it's Atlanta (take that as you will). So how do you dress? Where should you look for inspiration? Should you go for the chic, high class hippie look? Or more grungy, fun and crazy comfortable look? The answer is that there's no right answer- and that goes for all festivals. 


Depending on the festival, certain looks are encouraged or suggested. But the matter of the fact is that each festival-goer should dress in a way that he or she feels comfortable, confident, and expressive. The way I do it? A little bit of both. I had Vanessa-inspired hair for Day 1 and comfort and fun for Day 2. And I felt like my outfit choice each day was the best decision! So no, it might have not been street-style worthy on a prestigious fashion blog. But all I'm saying is that I'd love to see you try and find that homemade shirt with my friend's face on it anywhere in Vogue. Now that's original.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear it!